Re: install assumes.exe extension?

DePriest, Jason R. wrote:
On Mon, Oct 6, 2008 at 9:34 PM, Ralph Hempel <> wrote:
I'd just like to clear up some confusion on my part
about "install" as distributed with Cygwin.

<SNIP>

Does this help?
http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-specialnames.html#id318321

Yes, but then this part confuses me again...

  Unfortunately, the install and strip commands do distinguish
  between filename and filename.exe. They fail when working on
  a non-existing filename even if filename.exe exists, thus
  breaking some makefiles. This problem can be solved by writing
  install and strip shell scripts to provide the extension ".exe"
  when needed.

Maybe I'm dense, but the way I'm reading this paragraph is that it should fail under the scenario I was describing.

1. lua.exe exists in the source dir
2. lua does not exist in the source dir
3. install copies lua.exe to the destination dir and renames it lua

Ralph