RE: Why is regedit referenced?

John Sellers wrote on 09 September 2008 11:53:

> Barry Kelly wrote:
>> What do you mean by Cygwin? A bash prompt?
> I used the shortcut, c:/cygwin/cygwin.bat to run bash.
>
> As soon as I do this, Kaspersky Internet Security 2009, which can track
> applications as well as network activity, informs me that the following
> unix bin commands are run:
>
> bash, id, chmod, tr, hostname, find, sort, echo, grep, uname, and regtool.

  Well yeh, that's what Cygwin *is*: a bunch of unix bin commands for windows!

  (Take a browse through the bash startup scripts, /etc/profile in particular
does quite a bit of work, and uses regtool to detect your printer settings).

> When it happened the first time I could have sworn it was regedit
> instead of regtool.  I am assuming that what I am seeing is OK, but I
> think I will dig down and see what the bash related scripts are
> doing....its starting to come back to me now....its been several years
> since I used UNIX...

  Heh, yeh, I think it's all gonna be ok :)

> (I've got an OLD IBM manual on my shelf that instructs me on how to
> install my 8K board in my PC;  and other DOS PC users used to drive me
> crazy because nobody understood that there were things called file
> directories that one could use instead of putting all of your files and
> applications in the main directory.)

  I'll see your old IBM and raise you a CBM4016 and a Science of Cambridge
Mk14!

    cheers,
      DaveK