Re: rsync in cygwin

Edward Blum wrote:

> Thanks for your swift reply! I see there are release candidates flying
> about for 1.7 reckon they would be stable enough to try them out or
> would I be better waiting for a stable release? Is there some where I
> can find the release cycle?

I don't know whether you could call 1.7 stable or not.  We'll only know
if people test it.  Do note that it's meant to be coupled with an
upgrade helper script in the base-cygwin package that transitions your
mount table from the registry into fstab, so if you just plop down a 1.7
version of the DLL on top of a 1.5 installation without taking any
further steps you will probably have a semi-working system, as /usr/bin
won't be able to be found and so on.  For this reason you're better off
using the 1.7 setup which does support installing in a separate
independent tree (for the time being during the testing period at least)
so that your 1.5 tree remains untouched.  All of the details and caveats
are hashed out in various cygwin-apps@ list threads, so you'll want to
consult the archives.

Moreover, in addition to simply running the 1.7 DLL you'd likely need to
rebuild rsync against the 1.7 headers in order to take advantage of the
change in PATH_MAX.  I don't know if such a 1.7 rsync binary package has
been made available in the release-2/ tree or not, but I suspect it
hasn't, which means you'd have to take care of this yourself as well.

Brian