Re: cygwin python: subprocess.Popen().stdout + threads == hang

Jason Tishler wrote:

As my README indicates, Cygwin Python has some pthreads-related issues.
Given that you don't observe this behavior on other platforms, it seems
like this is a Cygwin specific problem.  So, I don't think raising an
upstream bug report will help.

I would like to help with this problem, but my expectation is it will
take many hours or days to debug.  I've been in the Cygwin and Python
pthreads-related code before and it is not a fun place to be. :,)
Sorry, but the reality is I don't have the time to help with a problem
of this difficulty.

Understandable. I wish it were otherwise, but no worries. I actually worked around the problem in my real app by avoiding threads entirely -- at least in this context -- on unix (incl. cygwin), since select.select() can be used with regular file descriptors on those platforms. I only really needed threads+subprocess.Popen.stdout in this context on win32, because win32 select.select() works only with sockets.

It's funny. I dimly recall running into something almost the same -- maybe exactly the same -- about two years ago. At that time I just completely punted and dropped cygwin from the list of supported platforms...I like my current workaround better that /that/. <g>

FWIW, I did try a few recent thread-related patches from python SVN -- some from the release25-maint branch and some I backported from trunk (like this: http://bugs.python.org/issue874900). No joy there, unfortunately.

--
Chuck