Re: File permissions cygwin install

Angelo Graziosi wrote:
Corinna Vinschen wrote:

I don't beleieve it is supposed to be this way?

setup.exe creates the files with Windows default permissions. Usually those are determined by the inheritable permissions of the
parent directory in which you install the Cygwin directory.

Setup is a plain Win32 application which doesn't know about POSIX perms.

OK, this is known. But...

Is it supposed to be that way on Cygwin [1]?

Or we can adopt some workaround?

For example on Linux:
   drwxr-xr-x  3 root root    0 Jul  4 13:52 home

and similar for /lib, /usr...

While on Cygwin:
   drwxrwxrwx+  3 Administrator  Users 0 Jul  4 13:52 home

It should be at least: drwxr-xr-x 3 Administrator Administrators 0 Jul 4 13:52 home

or not?

Doing so would likely remove the ability that we have now the allows users pre-create the installation directory with the permissions they want to have for the entire tree. So adding the additional functionality you speak of to 'setup.exe', while possible, comes with additional costs beyond the obvious (of just implementing your idea).

-- Larry Hall http://www.rfk.com RFK Partners, Inc. (508) 893-9779 - RFK Office 216 Dalton Rd. (508) 893-9889 - FAX Holliston, MA 01746