Re: un-indenting doesn't work with vim

On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 12:46 PM, Andrew DeFaria wrote:
> Seems like my problem was I had a set t_kb=^? in my .vimrc as well as the
> aforementioned fixdel. Indeed the mere fact that I included such things in
> my .vimrc indicate that I was having problems with backspace not doing a
> backspace. I assume that the ^? isn't the two characters ^ and ? and I
> forget how to generate that anymore. In any event I found
> http://www.stripey.com/vim/terminals.html which says to do "execute 'set
> t_kb=' . nr2char(8)". This seems to be working now.

Well, there's your problem.  You told vim that the backspace key sends
0x7F, when in fact it sends 0x08 in your terminal emulator.  Vim would
have done the correct thing, if it ever saw a backspace, but it never
saw 0x7F, only 0x08.  :fixdel is archaic, and never necessary on
modern systems; moreover you should always understand what a command
does before trying to use it.

~Matt