SSHD Problems

Hi, I'm having problems setting up sshd using cygwin on my windows xp
machine. I've run out of ideas, so if anyone can suggest troubleshooting
tips or any other kind of help, I'd really appreciate it.

I've installed sshd to run as a windows service. I can ssh to localhost
or 127.0.0.1, but attempts to ssh to my external IP address return
'connection refused' error messages. I've tried from a remote machine
with the same results.

I have tried turning off the windows firewall and connecting the
computer directly to the modem (to avoid the router), but still get the
same error.

I have Windows XP SP3. I've created a firewall exception for port 22 and
forwarded port 22 on the router (but get the same results even without
these in the picture). I have also tried listing my externalIP address
as a 'ListenAddress' in the sshd_config file.

Again, any tips or suggestions would be great.

Thanks