RE: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: [experimental] cygwin-1.5.25-11

On 06 March 2008 11:44, Peter Klavins wrote:

> 1.  Since my downloads directory may contain many files,
> amongst which other generic setup.exe's,

  I think if you have multiple identically-named files in the same directory
you've got bigger problems than cygwin.  Perhaps you should put each one in
a separate subdirectory so that you know what's what.  You could even choose
the subdirectory names carefully to identify each one's purpose.

> could the cygwin
> setup program be changed to something more related to cygwin,
> e.g., cygsetup.exe?

  Yes, of course it can, trivially.  The easiest way is to type a new name
in the "save downloaded file as..." dialog that your browser pops up when
you download it.  If you've already downloaded it, you could use the "REN"
command in a DOS shell or right-click on that icon you mentioned in the
windows GUI and select 'Rename'.

  Renaming it on the server, OTOH, would serve very little purpose, since it
would break every single saved bookmark and link that's out there on the
entire internet, and wouldn't even help you in any noticeable fashion, since
you'd still be left with (many - 1) "setup.exe"s in your download directory.
Nothing that anyone does elsewhere can help you sort out your own filing
system on your own computer.

> 3.  The only indication that I am running experimental cygwin
> is the embedded build date in uname -a.

  Also the cygcheck package check report ("cygcheck -c cygwin").

> Otherwise the other
> version numbers in the string are identical.

  That's deliberate.  It's still part of the same 1.5.25 release series and
should be treated the same by all applications; they should never /need/ to
discriminate between version based on the release number, because it should
always be backwardly-compatible and if it isn't then it's a bug in the
release which needs fixing.

> This could
> become confusing as time passes and you forget what dates
> things were downloaded and installed and so you don't know
> any more whether you're running current or experimental:

  Yet another way to find out is to rerun setup.exe.  By default it will
revert any experimental packages back to their current versions unless you
manually click on "Keep" or otherwise select them to be retained.  So you
could fire it up and go to the package chooser and see whether it thinks
your install needs to be reverted or not.  But "cygcheck -c" is probably
easiest.

    cheers,
      DaveK