Re: Reference to absolute path seems broken.

<http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PCYMTNQREAIYR>.  Thanks.

> >  According to Mathijs Romans on 2/29/2008 6:42 AM:
> >
> > | (ERROR)
> > | Mathijs@chef /
> > | $ diff /Cygwin.bat Thumbs.db
> > | /usr/bin/diff: /Cygwin.bat: No such file or directory
> > |
> > | Notice the slash before Cygwin.bat. Is this normal?? Other commands
> > | such as 'ls' work fine.
> >
> > The slash before the file name in the error message is normal - diff
> > uses the file name you typed in generating its message.  However, why
> > the diff was unable to find the file by its absolute name is not
> > normal - I couldn't reproduce it, so there is something different
> > about your / than there is for mine.  Running strace may shed some
> > light on this, as well.
>
> Thanks for your quick answer. I first tried to run strace which gave
> no output at all. Only then I realised there might be a windows
> command 'diff' and I was running that one. So I installed diffutils
> with the great Cygwin packagemanager. Then I got the strace output and
> the same error. Then I restarted Cygwin, and now the error is gone!
>
> (OK)
> Mathijs@chef /
> $ diff /Cygwin.bat Cygwin.ico
> Files /Cygwin.bat and Cygwin.ico differ
>
> The combination of posix/windows is terribly confusing for me
> sometimes. Thanks again for your help!
>
> Mathijs
>

> >  | Can somebody help me?
> >
> >  We need 'cygcheck -svr' output, as a text attachment, to learn more about
> >  your /.

Note that the above would have probably shown a different "diff" in your
PATH.  In general, if a command behaves in an unexpected way, check that
you're using the Cygwin version of that command (by using "which diff" or,
better yet, "type diff" in bash).
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your neighbor.  That is the whole
Torah; the rest is commentary.  Go and study it." -- Rabbi Hillel