Re: utf-8 and cygwin

On Sun, 25 Nov 2007 20:03:07 -0500, "Larry Hall" wrote:
> > Mariusz Wodzicki wrote:
> >
> >  I would like to reopen the discussion about utf-8 support in cygwin.
> >
> >  SIXTEEN months passed since there were some exchanges about it
> >  on the cygwin mail list.
> >
> >  The lack of support for filenames with non-Latin1 characters is
> >  currently the MOST SEVERE LIMITATION of cygwin in my opinion.
> >
> >  Due to the international nature of internet more and more of us
> >  are getting all sorts of files with utf-8 filenames.
> >
> >  In presence of such files in our file systems, all the basic
> >  commands are broken (ls, cp, mv, diff, rsync, et cetera).
> >
> >  This becomes more and more annoying with every passing day.
> >
> >  What is the current situation? When can we expect that
> >  this problem gets resolved?
>
> Work is going on in CVS (the eventual 1.7.x series) to handle long file
> names/paths.  This will enable Unicode internally at least.  Check out
> CVS and lend a hand if you're able.

One quickie note - adding (or porting) 'mlterm' [1] to be included
in the list of "available" applications would be VERY worth while
thing to do (its a great UTF-8 terminal emulator).  I know a number
of people who actively use it on a daily basis (ask the Arabic
community - arabeyes.org) to view/edit/munge files and their contents.

[1] http://mlterm.sf.net

Regards...