in /bin after installation

I installed to c:\cygin, but it always places me in c:\cygwin\bin when
I click the cygwin icon. I thought I was supposed to be in my home
folder, ie c:\cygwin\home\<myname>
Also, the bash prompt looks very sparse, I thought something looked
different when I last saw a cygwin system.
Also, many files and stuff that various googling told me about are not
there (for example any /etc/passwd, or any /etc/postsetup or some such
things).
It seems that this installation just somehow failed. I tried it 3
times now, always the same.
My system is windows 2003 sp 2.

regards
CB