RE: Unable to access file from shell script (XP configure problem?)

On 25 October 2007 17:52, Ramon Felciano wrote:

> Specifically, shell scripts don't appear to be able to read files based
> on filenames passed in as commandline parameters.

  Heh.  Actually, shell scripts are entirely able to read files, based on any
filename you pass in whatsoever - ...

> felciano@DURFELCIANO2 /cygdrive/c/Downloads
> $ ./buggy.sh /cygdrive/c/Downloads/ramon.txt
> Hello /cygdrive/c/Downloads/ramon.txt
>> No such file or directoryramon.txt
> Bye!
>
> felciano@DURFELCIANO2 /cygdrive/c/Downloads

... -  even filenames with a CR in them.  And bash correctly reports that you
do not have a file called "cygdrive/c/Downloads/ramon.txt^M" on your disk,
although that ^M (CR with no LF) causes the error message to overwrite itself
a bit.

> There are no spaces in the filename and I'm using POSIX paths, so I
> don't think that's the issue. I can clearly find and view the file from
> the commandline so I don't think it is an access control or volume mount
> problem in the Cygwin environment. The shell script itself sees the
> command-line parameter (echo works) but the subsequent cat command fails
> with a "No such file or directory" error. The thing that looks
> particular odd is the error message:

>> No such file or directoryramon.txt
>
> which looks like it is an error message that overwrote the
> "/cygdrive/c/Downloads/ramon.txt" pathname.

  CR at the end.  That's the definitive symptom.

> Any suggestions on where to hunt further for a resolution?

  Where did the CR actually come from?  It came from here:

$ cat buggy.sh
#!/bin/sh
echo Hello "$@"
cat "$@"
    ^^^^^

  If you've got CRLF lineendings in that script, that line actually looks bash
(which, being unixy, only expects LF line endings) like this:

cat "$@"^M<end-of-line>

so once $@ is substituted (and quote removal applied), you have:

  cat /cygdrive/c/Downloads/ramon.txt^M

  The solution is to run d2u on buggy.sh, or don't use notepad/wordpad to
create it, use vi/emacs/any other editor that can generate LF-only line
endings.

  Also, see any of the recent release ANNOUNCEments in the cygwin-announce
list archive for a couple of other options (set -oo igncr etc.).

    cheers,
      DaveK