Re: Where did man page for "rxvt" go ???

Paul McFerrin wrote:

> Okay.  How does one determine which base package rxvt is in so I can
> reinstall it?  Is there some magical command in cygwin to do that for
> you.  (lookup, not install)

Yes, cygcheck provides various ways to do this.  cygcheck -f searches
installed packages for a given file, cygcheck -l lists the contents of
an installed package, and cygcheck -p searches online for what package
contains a given file pattern.  You can also "zgrep pat
/etc/setup/*.lst.gz" for partial filename matches against installed
packages as -f only works with absolute filenames.  But note this is
only for installed packages.

In the case of rxvt, there are currently two separate versions of rxvt
in the distro: rxvt and rxvt-unicode.

Plain rxvt is contained in just the package "rxvt" which includes the
rxvt(1) manpage.  This version contains both the X11 and W11 (GDI)
versions in one binary which autodetects the mode to use based on the
setting of $DISPLAY, however this is essentially a dead-end package as
this code base has been abandoned.

The newer version is called rxvt-unicode or just urxvt and is split into
two parts: rxvt-unicode-common and rxvt-unicode-X11.  The idea here is
to eventually support separate W11 and X11 builds of urxvt, but
currently only X11 is provided.  Also, the unicode in the name does not
mean you can actually use unicode quite yet due to deficiencies in
newlib/Cygwin.  At any rate, the -common package provides the manpages
urxvt(1), urxvtc(1), urxvtd(1), and urxvt(7) corresponding with the
commands of the same name.  Note that this uses the alternatives system
to provide an unsuffixed alias that selects between the -X and -W11
versions, except for the aforementioned fact that the -W11 binaries
don't exist yet so for the time being urxvt == urxvt-X and so on.

Brian