From: "Dave Korn" <dave.korn@artimi.com>
To: <cygwin@cygwin.com>
Subject: RE: having problem fixing x installation and other minor things.
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2007 16:50:00 +0100

On 08 October 2007 13:39, Mike Marchywka wrote:

> However, re-running setup isn't quite working because trying to uninstall
> one particular
> item causes it to bomb. This xorg-x11-fnts isn't quite right as I can't
> uninstall it :
> xorg-x11-fenc 6.8.99.901-1 OK
> xorg-x11-fnts 6.8.1.0-3 OK
> xorg-x11-fscl 6.8.99.901-1 OK
>
> What is the safest way to manually ( not using setup ) uninstall this and do
> a clean reinstall or figure out what is causing setup to terminate?

It's probably a corrupt package in your package dir. Assuming it's the same
thing, I used to have this trouble quite some time ago; I think there was a
bad version on the mirrors briefly a long time ago and once it makes its way
into your package dir it lives there forever, causing no problem during
routine upgrades, but completely messing you over when you try to uninstall.
Blow away the xorg-x11-fnts in your stored packages dir and try again.

(NB: Like I say, it was a long time ago, so I don't remember for sure, but
there may even have been more than one corrupt package down there, I'm not
sure if I didn't end up blowing away that -fenc thingy as well).

    cheers,
      DaveK