Re: cygpath -u doesn't seem to convert spaces properly

It seems to be a quoting problem. This is what I was doing:

$ ttt="$(cygpath -u "$JAVA_HOME")"

$ echo $ttt
/cygdrive/c/Program Files/Java/jdk1.5.0_10

$ cd $ttt
bash: cd: /cygdrive/c/Program: No such file or directory

$ cd "$ttt"

$pwd
/cygdrive/c/Program Files/Java/jdk1.5.0_10

Is is possible to setup the variable to not require the double quotes? Since my other method doesn't require the double quotes, it would make the scripting much easier. I wouldn't need to keep track of which variables I had to double quote.

$ tttt="$(cygpath -u "$(cygpath -m -s "$JAVA_HOME")")"

$ echo $tttt
/cygdrive/c/PROGRA~1/Java

$ cd $tttt

$ pwd
/cygdrive/c/PROGRA~1/Java

Notice that I can use $tttt directly without have to use the double quote.

thanks,

Jerome

Jerome Fong wrote:
I am trying to use cygpath -u to convert my windows path to an unix path in my shell script. However, it has problems with paths that has spaces in it. For example, "cygpath -u c:\Program Files\Java" is converted to
/cygdrive/c/Program Files/Java, which doesn't work. Is there a flag that I am missing?

I came up with the following, but it seems wrong.

$ cygpath -u "$(cygpath -m -s "c:\Program Files\Java")"
/cygdrive/c/PROGRA~1/Java

Thanks,

Jerome