Re: Establishing Unix network control under cygwin?

Brad wrote:
Hi.  I've just recently installed cygwin and I'd like to ask a few questions
about networking.

I've installed practically all the Cygwin packages but I'm frustrated by a
couple of trivial little problems.  For example, when I do a

ping host

the host can't be found; I have to put in the fully-qualified host name:

ping host.company.com

Make sure that the 'ping' that's being used is from /usr/bin (== /bin), and not from (for example) WINDOWS/System32

Do a 'which -a', to answer this question.

BTB, in the aforementioned System32 dir, there is also a traceroute -- 'tracert', which just like it's name is at least a few characters short of adequacy, but c'est la defenestration. ;-)

See also: Google: tracetcp

HTH,

Lee