Re: 1.5.24: sshd immediately disconnects upon receiving a connection

A few quick comments:

Jeremy K. Truax wrote:
Hi all

I've been trying to get sshd running on Cygwin on Windows XP. Just to give a quick summary of the problem, I'll start up the sshd service and try to connect from another machine or even from localhost and it will
hang. So I have been trying to get it working by just running it from the
cygwin command line, like so:

/usr/sbin/sshd -ddd

Since you're starting things this way, I assume you realize the limitations
it imposes and the issues you will need to deal with when you migrate back
to running this as a service.  If you don't, I recommend just wiping your
installation and reinstalling (this isn't required but it's often easier
than tracking down all the files that need fiddling with and doing so).
Once reinstalled, you can accomplish the same thing from a system-owned
shell (search the email archives for the recipe).  This way allows you to
do the debugging you want without polluting the service configuration.

Connection from 127.0.0.1 port 1195

I hope the above is a typo/wrong example.

I tried searching around for that winsock error but didn't find much from that either.

$ net helpmsg 10038

An operation was attempted on something that is not a socket.

As for how I set this up, I just had a clean windows xp install, disabled
the firewall, installed Cygwin, selected openssh to be installed. Then I ran
ssh-host-config and said yes to all prompts (Note: I did try this without
privsep both on and off but still had the same problems). I've also tried to
refresh /etc/passwd and /etc/group by doing:

Why didn't you run ssh-user-config too?

-- Larry Hall http://www.rfk.com RFK Partners, Inc. (508) 893-9779 - RFK Office 216 Dalton Rd. (508) 893-9889 - FAX Holliston, MA 01746