Re: rsync between WinNT and Linux (--perms --owner --group)

On 8/25/2007 12:27 AM, Richard Ivarson wrote:
René Berber wrote:
Richard Ivarson wrote:
Does Cygwin's rsync send the user and group names to the Linux rsync at
all?

No, rsync used uid / gid, the numeric user/group id, not the names,
and unless you did something to synchronize them they are different.

[snip]

So I suppose Cygwin rsync (tar etc) always uses the UID/GID, like you say, and so sees "no match" on the destination system in my case... That explains what I am seeing.

rsync preserves the user for me as long as the name is the same, even if the UIDs are different, at least when going from Cygwin to Linux[*].