Re: Vista: mount/umount -s permission denied

On Thu, 23 Aug 2007, Corinna Vinschen wrote:

On Aug 23 13:18, Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
Dick Repasky wrote:

On Windows Vista Enterprise, I consistently receive "permission denied" errors when using cygwin mount/umount commands on system mounts (mount/umount -s ...). I cannot mount novel system mount points (e.g., mount -s -b C:\\bonga /usr/local) or unmount existing system mount points (e.g., umount -s /usr/lib). The same is true from the cygwin bash prompt, from within a cygwin bash script, from the windows command prompt (C:\cygwin\bin\mount -s ...) or from within a windows .bat file.

The system is a single-user system, and my identity is that under which
setup.exe was run to install cygwin.

I have not had this issue with cygwin under XP.

User mounts (mount/umount -u) work just fine for me on Vista.

Are system mounts supposed to be unmutable?  If so, oh.  If not, is
there a work-around, or what have I done wrongly?

You forgot UAC. Welcome to the wonderful world of strange Vista concepts.

Try turning off UAC.  Otherwise, give your user the ability to add/remove/
update all registry entries.

Erm... turning off UAC will certainly help, but it's not necessary. And administrative users *have* all rights to change the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE branch of the registry, it's just one of the rights removed when working under UAC control.

The most simple way to get the right to mount/umount is to start the
process with admin rights.  On the Cygwin shell icon, right click to get
the context menu and choose "Run as administrator" or your local
equivalent menu entry.  Now you started the shell with all administrative
permissions and you can mount/umount.

Corinna

Wow, thanks. You know, this might make a good FAQ entry.

Dick

Dick Repasky Center for Computational Cytomics UITS Cubicle 101.08 Indiana University USA

rrepasky@indiana.edu