Re: sshd: public key working, but can't get passwords working

Thorsten Kampe wrote:
* Michael Hipp (Mon, 30 Jul 2007 08:36:48 -0500)
Daniel Griscom wrote:
At 7:32 PM -0500 7/29/07, Renà Berber wrote:
Back to the original problem: did you use ssh-user-config? (I guess What you reported about the log is simple, the password used is not correct...
it should prompt you 3 times and then close the connection; or the configuration
does not allow password authentication, let's check this last one:

In /etc/sshd_config you should have:

#PasswordAuthentication yes
#PermitEmptyPasswords no
#UsePAM no
All three lines are present and commented out (as above).
I thought you were trying to use public/private key authentication, not password authentication?

If so, then the first line above needs to be uncommented and changed to 'no'.

No, password authentication and public are not mutually exlusive. The default is fine.

I didn't say they were. But since he's trying to use public/private key authentication then he probably wouldn't want password authentication available as an attack vector. Check your auth logs sometime and notice how common are attacks against port 22 using dictionaries and common account names.

Michael