cygwin1.dll building question

Hi,

I wanted to add the function strcasestr() from glibc to the cygwin's libc
and I have encountered a serie of difficulties and questions. Some of them
are related to the process of offering changes to cygwin but I will reserve
those for the other mailing list.

1- I have modified a Makefile.am file to include the new c file to compile
but I have never been able to regenerate the corresponding Makefile.in. I
have guessed that maybe I had to configure the project in the maintainer
mode but I have never been able to make it work with the needed custom tools
from RedHat. I have finally workaround problem #1 but editing manually the
Makefile.in file. How are you supposed to regenerate the Makefile.in?

2-During make, I have received some errors during the doc generation but I
did not care since this is done after compiling the dll (errors attached if
someone is interested to look at them).

3-The generated cygwin0.dll looks like an exact copy of cygwin1.dll. Does
that dll has a special purpose or it is just a building artifact?

4-My generated libcygwin.a is 3.6MB vs 953KB for the one distributed with
the cygwin binaries. Obviously, I did not build the same thing. Does someone
have an idea about what would explain that difference?

5-Doing 'make install' broke my cygwin setup (gcc was exiting without
generating any output). Even reinstalling every cygwin components from
setup.exe did not solve the problem. To fix that problem, I have to erase
the 'cygwin' directory completely before reinstalling cygwin. To workaround
that problem, instead of doing 'make install' I have just manually copied
cygwin1.dll and libcygwin.a from the src package to the appropriate
locations.

Thank you,
Olivier Langlois
http://www.streamtheworld.com