Re: public key authentication headache issue/solution documentation

Florian Mosleh wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've just resolved an issue I had with public key authentication for ssh
> in cygwyn. I needed to automate an rsync pull from a box running cygwyn.
> The client is an antiquated redhat system. I was unable to successfully
> execute remote commands after authenticating with a keypair. I was
> finally able to resolve the issue by running the sshd service as the
> user used for authenticating the ssh session and chowning various ssh
> related files to the user (notably /var/log/sshd.log). I'd like to
> recommend more documentation on this issue. It had a relatively simple
> fix which, nonetheless, eluded me for several days.

This is part of the FAQ, though all the nitty-gritty isn't there for
"recovering" from running it as a privileged user (SYSTEM, sshd_server,
etc).  It is in the email archives though (exact pointer left as an
exercise for the reader ;-) ).:

<http://cygwin.com/faq/faq-nochunks.html#faq.using.shares>

> If you have an alternate recommendation that better conforms to best
> practices, please let me know. The ssh-host-config script spews various
> useful bits of knowledge. Something along the lines of "For possible
> issues with public key authentication please see <file>" might be nice.

For the upcoming Cygwin 1.7, there is an authentication module that will
make the above gyrations unnecessary.  If you're interested in
investigating this, grab a snapshot <http://cygwin.com/snapshots/> and
read the thread:
  <http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-developers/2006-07/msg00013.html>

Holliston, MA 01746