Re: Default For Install Should Be Install Everything

Michael Boom wrote:
When people I tell about Cygwin install it, they tend
to use the default. They don’t realize that by
clicking the word “Default”, it will change to
Install, and install everything. I think the default
should be to install everything. Few people are going
to read the installation documentation and few people
want to install less than everything. Does anyone
agree? If so who should I send my opinion to?

If you're having problems getting people you tell to install
Cygwin with all packages, why not tell them how to install
everything?  Or, if you think that's too complex, you could
provide a custom package server that allows them to download and
install everything (see
<http://sources.redhat.com/cygwin-apps/package-server.html>).  Just
set up a dummy package that's part of the base category and depends
on every other package.  Point folks you want to have install
everything to your server and "voila!", you're done.  Or you could
provide patches to 'setup.exe' to insert a page with the more
traditional coarse options of "Full", "Minimal", and "Custom" options
(see <http://sourceware.org/cygwin-apps/setup.html>).  I'd argue even
with today's world of more broadband connections, defaulting the
install to download upward of a GB worth of packages is still going
to be an issue for most.  But I believe that even if that's not true,
having a clearer way to install everything would probably resolve any
current confusion, regardless of the default option set.  As for who
you should tell, well, I guess that's this list.  If all you want to
do is tell people about your opinion, I think you're done.  If you're
interested in doing more than just presenting your opinion, I've
provided you with a few options to consider as well. :-)

Holliston, MA 01746