Re: activestate perl on cygwin

Kevin T Cella wrote:
I don't actually install through cygwin, but use the ppm installer from Activestate.
Why people would want to use a proprietary Perl with a proprietary installer is beyond me. Let me ask you a question, what happens when you call setsid in this ActiveState Perl? Anyways...
I still need to know how to solve the issue that occurs with the command I mentioned in my original post. Using the version of perl
installed with cygwin is not really an option since I already have scripts written that utilize windows specific modules.
I betcha there are Cygwin versions of those "windows specific modules"...

Best way to think of things IMHO, is either go totally into Cygwin or get totally out of Cygwin, WRT Perl. Said differently, if you're gonna be using Activestate Perl then start a cmd shell!

I'm not sure I agree with your script's premise which states in the comment "Cygwin passes 'cygwin style' paths to the program in the #! statement". I don't believe that is true. Cygwin passes what you specify at the command line. Cygwin doesn't really know, for example, given a "myperlscript.pl foo/bar" whether "foo/bar" is supposed to represent a path or just a set of characters. That's for your Perl script to decide and act upon. Of course if you are giving "cygwin style" paths on the command line then I'd expect them to come in in that manner. Stated differently, if you type "myperlscript.pl /cygdrive/d/foo.dat" then I'd expect /cygdrive/d/foo.data. Perhaps you should instead specify "myperlscript.pl D:\\foo.dat"?

If you are saying that you like using the Cygwin bash prompt and like using say file name completion to help specify file paths to ActiveState Perl scripts then I would suggest this: Make your ActiveState Perl script aware that arguments it has that represent file paths may be coming in as a Cygwin path and have it convert the path to a Windows path in the Perl script. When I write Perl scripts I tend to write them so that they work on Linux/Unix and Windows using Cygwin or just plain Windows (and where possible totally neutral) and I usually leave open the possibility that a file path may be of Unix or Windows style and act accordingly.

--

Andrew DeFaria <http://defaria.com>
A good scapegoat is almost as good as a solution.