Re: something goes wrong while compiling linux kernel under cygwin

On 12/16/06, Leo Liu <desfilms at gmail dot com> wrote:
Hi, i'm a newbie to use cygwin under windows. I have known steps of compiling
kernel under Linux. For some reason, i want to compile linux kernel under
Windows now. But i met some problems which stops me to continue.

What you are trying to do is referred to as cross compiling.

The GCC that comes with Cygwin was configured at compile time to
produce Windows object code and executables.  You first need to
recompile GCC so that it produces Linux output.  Then, you need to
recompile any utilities that the Linux kernel build process may use
that aren't included with Cygwin.  And, you'll need to cross compile
any libraries that are compiled into the Linux kernel (if there are
any).