Re: Weird cosmetic bug after viewing bash man page

On 12/14/06, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
Ok, this is useful; it sounds like 'man bash' is in fact leaving the
bold attribute turned on incorrectly. Aaron, in your case your prompt
does not clear the attribute; I assume "printf '\033[0m'" fixes things?

It does indeed.

Does this only happen with the bash manpage, or do you see it with other
manpages as well?

It seems to vary. I see it with 'man vim' and 'man printf' after the first screen, for instance, but not with 'man man', unless I pick just the right line. Which makes it seem less likely that it's a problem with the man page formatting. In all the cases which cause the problem, the last bit of text on the screen is highlighted, but it shouldn't be.

Btw, what versions of groff and less do you have installed? Also, what
is the output of 'man -d bash' (just the part after 'not executing
command:', please)?

less is 381-1, as I listed previously; groff is 1.18.1-2. The output you're after is, I presume:

 (cd "/usr/share/man" && (echo ".pl 11i"; /usr/bin/cat
'/usr/share/man/man1/bash.1') | /usr/bin/tbl | /usr/bin/nroff -Tlatin1
-mandoc | /usr/bin/less -isrR)

Interesting.  Where does the '.pl 11i' bit come from?  It's not in
man.conf...is it hardcoded, or hiding in my environment somewhere?

--
--Alfvaen (Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Dead Can Dance:Aion