Re: Cygwin-installed /etc/profile supplied appears to be DOS-type text file

Thanks. Indeed, I conclude that I must have edited /etc/profile long, long ago (before I understood that this is not advisable), and saved it in DOS-style format. I see in various discussions that bash has recently been made intolerant of DOS-style line endings, explaining my observation. (I'll delete my hand-altered /etc/profile and let it be overwritten by the official Cygwin version.) Rex