Re: 3PP source code question (IANAL)

On Nov  7 16:21, DePriest, Jason R. wrote:
> Are 3PPs that bundle an old version of cygwin1.dll required in any way
> to provide the source code of their app so that I can recompile it
> with a modern version of cygwin1.dll?

If they don't have purchased a buyout license, then the answer is "yes".
See http://cygwin.com/licensing.html

> I have used Foundstone's (now part of McAfee) free tools (found here
> http://www.foundstone.com/resources/freetools.htm) for some time and a
> few of them use the cygwin dll (Pasco, Galleta, Rifiuti).
>
> However, only Pasco
> (http://www.foundstone.com/resources/proddesc/pasco.htm) includes the
> source code.

Are Galleta and Rifiuti actually linked against the DLL, or are they
just calling other tools which are linked against the Cygwin DLL?  In
the latter case, they are off the hook.  Otherwise feel free to ask them
for the source code.

> Should I even bother trying to get the source code out of them?

If you can confirm that all these tools are actually linked against the
Cygwin DLL itself, then sure, why not?  If you don't get a reply or a
negative reply, please keep us informed.

Corinna

Red Hat