RE: Newbie questions: missing packages / script writing

on Tuesday, October 31, 2006 4:56 PM, cygwin@snowstone.org.uk wrote:
>> If you had read the list of available lists at
>> http://cygwin.com/lists.html, you would have found the correct list.
>
> I did read that page (amongst my other research), but I guess I'm
> missing something obvious - what list is aimed at cygwin "newbies"?
>
> Adam
>
> --
> Adam Richardson
> Carpe Diem

This brings up something that I've thought about for a while.  Many
newbie questions are really not about cygwin, but are really about using
a package (in this thread, how does one script in bash).  Might it be
appropriate and useful to have a list for non-cygwin-specific questions
about using packages provided by setup?  (Or two lists, for X and
non-X.)  I know that I feel a part of the cygwin community and might ask
questions on a list like that but not on a list with no cygwin
connection.  (Anyway, first I'd have to find the appropriate list.)

I propose this just for discussion.  I am not requesting such a list
because I am not actually sure that it is a good idea.  I can see why
one might want not to clutter cygwin.com with a list devoted to
questions that are really not directly related to cygwin.  And I can
imagine that so few people (especially with experience) may subscribe as
to make it useless.

And I'd like to take this opportunity to thank people who give help on
the various cygwin mailing lists for all that they do for us.

- Barry
     -  Disclaimer:  Statements made herein (and, indeed, in any email
that I send to a cygwin list) are not made on behalf of NIAID.