Re: 1.5.21-1: CIFS symlinks on network share break Cygwin

<http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#TOFU>. Reformatted.

Champ Mendis wrote:
----- Original Message ----- From: "Larry Hall (Cygwin)" <reply-to-list-only-lh <AT> cygwin <DOT> com>
To: <cygwin <AT> cygwin <DOT> com>

<http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PCYMTNQREAIYR>. Thanks.

Sent: Wednesday, October 25, 2006 8:47 AM
Subject: Re: 1.5.21-1: CIFS symlinks on network share break Cygwin

Jonathan Lanier wrote:
Well, I thought of that - first rule of debugging, calculatus
eliminatus.  I tried it; but, attempts to use the older DLLs with newer
apps (or vice-versa) result in corrupted shared memory, and force me to
reboot my WinXP box.  I've been under the impression that cygwin1.dll
isn't really meant to be cross-compatible with applications built
against other versions of Cygwin, which would probably make the search
useless.  If anyone knows otherwise, I'm keen to hear anything about
cygwin1.dll-swapping that could be of use - i.e. how far back I could go
and expect to retain binary compatibility.

There is backwards binary compatibility but not forward. So I'd suggest,
if you're interested in trying this, that you use your 1.5.14 environment
and swap in DLLs until it doesn't work. But keep your original DLL so you
can "reset" it at the end. Start with the oldest snapshot and binary search
your way in.
Hi,
I got the same problem, I ran Insight debugger too but it failed. Code very well in new version of Cygwin but
Exe file does not give any output. Insight debugger says unknown error.
I was wondering whether XP Media Edition is conflicting with Cygwin environment.
I tried the Cygwin1.dll to run in DOS mode but it failed.
I will also try the same thing as Jonathan says.

Two additional thoughts on this:

 o If you have a small, simple test case in C, it's worth your while
   to consider sending it to the list.

 o You should send along your cygcheck output.  Indeed, it's worthwhile to
   re-read <http://cygwin.com/problems.html>.  The more relevant details,
   the better! :-)

-- Larry Hall http://www.rfk.com RFK Partners, Inc. (508) 893-9779 - RFK Office 216 Dalton Rd. (508) 893-9889 - FAX Holliston, MA 01746