XTEST extension "not installed"

I am trying to use cygwin to connect to some machines running Solaris
10 via secure shell x-forwarding and I am getting strange errors which
don't make sense to me.  When I run matlab (I get errors in other
programs, just not ones that are quite so specific) the main window
comes up, but for some functions (notably the "create new m-file"
button) I get the error:

"XTEST extension not installed on this server: Error 0"

And the xterminal locks up as well as the matlab program itself.
Closing the xterm shuts down the stalled matlab process as it should,
so thats something.  Anyway, I checked the results of xdpyinfo from
cygwin and from the solaris machine and got some results which
confused me.