Re: Can not start UltraEdit using cygwin path

<http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PCYMTNQREAIYR>.  Thanks.

> > Subject: Re: Can not start UltraEdit using cygwin path
> > Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2006 17:34:15 -0700
> >
> > lin q wrote:
> >
> > >   If I run it with cygwin path like this,
> > >
> > > uedit /cygdrive/c/tmp/log
> > >
> > >   UltraEdit says the path is wrong.
> >
> > UltraEdit is not a Cygwin application.  How on earth do you expect it
> > to understand something beginning in /cygdrive?  Look into cygpath.
>
> I know cygpath, but it is easier to just type in DOS path than to use
> cygpath each time.

You already defined a function.  Just add some smarts to it.

> > >   Interesting enough, I have similar function for gvim,
> > >
> > > vi ()
> > > {
> > >     gvim $@ &
> > > }
> >
> > gvim is a Cygwin application.
>
> I download gvim myself from vim web site and installed it, it is not the
> one in cygwin package. This is the reason I think the application does
> not have to be from cygwin package.

The application has to be a Cygwin *program* to understand POSIX paths,
but not necessarily a Cygwin package.  However, even if the gvim you've
installed is not a Cygwin program, it may simply serve as a shell around
the existing vim installation (and pass the paths to vim unchanged), so if
the vim it picks up is the one that comes with Cygwin, it will understand
POSIX paths.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/