RE: Install hangs

On 29 September 2006 18:17, Eric Mader wrote:

> Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
>> Eric Mader wrote:

>>> $ find . -name "*.sh.done" -exec ls \{\} \;
>>>     197 [main] find 16764 fhandler_dev_zero::fixup_mmap_after_fork:
>>> requested 0x 430000 != 0x0 mem alloc base 0x430000, state 0x2000, size
>>> 1040384, Win32 error 4 87
>>>     543 [main] find 16764 c:\cygwin\bin\find.exe: *** fatal error -
>>> c:\cygwin\bi n\find.exe: *** recreate_mmaps_after_fork_failed
>>>
>>> It takes quite a long time to get a command prompt back after these
>>> error messages, and it leaves behing a stalled process.
>>>
>>> Is this releated somehow to my many failed attempts to run setup.exe,
>>> or is it a know problem w/ find?
>>>

>> Could be a rebase issue.  Try installing the package, read the README, and
>> follow the instructions for rebasing your system.
>
> I ran rebaseall (w/ no arguments) and the above find command still fails
> in the same way. Anything else I can try?

  Disable the "Logitech Process Monitor" service associated with your webcam?  Uninstall Agnitum Outpost?  Disable McAffee's buffer overflow protection feature?  (I'm beginning to suspect something is interfering in your system; buggy device drivers / AV / PFW software have been known to break cygwin in just this kind of way).

> Is there a way to save the list of installed packages and do a clean
> install?

  Blow away your current install using the procedure in the FAQ, but keep the local package directory where setup.exe stored its downloaded files.  Re-run setup.exe, tell it to "install from local directory", bingo.  Just click all the way through.

    cheers,
      DaveK