Re: bash-3.1-7 BUG

Hi,

mwoehlke wrote:
> Eric Blake wrote:
>> mwoehlke <mwoehlke <at> tibco.com> writes:
(snip)
>> ...  If the scan in binary mode
>> succeeds, then leave the file in binary mode, assuming that the file
>> is unix format even though it is on a text mount, and that lseeks will
>> work.  If the file starts life binary mode (ie. was on a binary
>> mount), skip the check for \r in the scan (under the assumption that
>> on a binary mount, \r is intentional and not a line ending to be
>> collapsed), and use lseeks.  No guarantees on whether this will pan
>> out, or be bigger than I thought, but hopefully you will see a bash
>> 3.1-8 with these semantics soon.
>
> Sounds good! That will satisfy my request to not silently work on files
> that should be broken. :-)

I'm seeing the next "make doesn't work anymore with DOS ... feature" coming
up here, only that it is bash this time. Apparently a lot of people use
tools from cygwin to build Windows stuff in a *NIX build environment.

Not many people that just "use" the tools read this ml and therefore
test if their favorite application still builds. It is definitely in the
eye of the beholder if one calls shell scripts that worked so far as broken
just because they have /r/n line endings.

I'll try to build my favorite testcase OpenOffice.org to see if there are some
shell scripts with "broken" lineendings hidden in this 500MB sourcecode monster.

On a separate note, both gcc and Microsofts cl.exe don't care about
the lineendings, neither does tcsh, why should bash start to punish the
offenders?

Volker

--
PGP/GPG key  (ID: 0x9F8A785D)  available  from  wwwkeys.de.pgp.net
key-fingerprint 550D F17E B082 A3E9 F913  9E53 3D35 C9BA 9F8A 785D