port forwarding, and routing.

Two problems :

1:

I'm working on ms windows XP, I would like to forward localhost ports tcp 137-139 over ssh. THis is a trivial issue on some installs of windows, it works fine using putty, in other cases it does not. Has anyone had this experience before?

I have even resorted to creating a virtual adapter with a reserved IP address, and forwarding both 0.0.0.0:137 and 5.0.0.1:137 to 192.168.1.250:137 neither works!

add ing forwarding for port 22 using the exact same techniques works fine! I get an sshd handshake, so this seems to be a windows kernel issue.

Extensive debugging on the remote (ssh) host confirms that no traffic for port 137 is forwarded.

2:

my IP network is a CIDR /24 with the router on 192.168.102.0 windows cannot access IP addresses at the bottom of the subnet as unicast. two solutions seem to exist: make windows think the network a /22 and leave the router alone, move the router. Is there a patch to enable windows kernel to see .0 as a unicast ip? Both solaris and bsd seem to have this feature available, but off be default. I wonder how much of the bsd ip stack MS successfuly 'borrowed'.

thanks all,

Robin-David Hammond KB3IEN