Re: Color Schemes

On Thu, Aug 31, 2006 at 12:59:09PM -0500, mwoehlke wrote:
>> George wrote:
>> On Thu, Aug 31, 2006 at 09:44:51AM -0500, mwoehlke wrote:
>>> Dave Korn wrote:
>>> [...] and I am not aware of any way to examine the terminal's
>>> "palette", nor should you need to. If a user wants to fiddle with
>>> these, it is his responsibility to keep things legible.
>>
>> $ grep color ~/.Xdefaults
>> [...]
>> Or am I missing something?
>
> Sure. Now do it for Konsole (hint: DCOP *might* let you), CUI, Console,
> rxvt, PuTTY, and every other terminal emulator in existence.

I guess I don't understand why one would expect that to be possible, or
desirable.

> What you found is the *default* colors for *one* emulator (what happens
> if you override them with command-line switches?).

No, those are my colors (the default colors are very different) and are
used by any emulator that makes uses of .Xdefaults, which includes rxvt
and standard xterms.  Command-line switches for both are mostly in a
one-to-one correspondence with the directives in .Xdefaults.

> Dave and I were talking about being able to query the terminal
> emulator in a standardized way, and I am pretty sure there is no such
> way.

Sorry for the noise.

--
George