Re: change in behavior of make from 3.80 to 3.81

On Sun, Aug 20, 2006 at 11:02:06PM -0700, Joachim Achtzehnter wrote:
>Dave Korn wrote:
>>>Because I do not agree with your suggestion.
>>
>>You don't agree that this is the cygwin list, not the mingw list?
>
>Some people are trying to solve an issue with cygwin's build of make by
>discussing possible solutions.  Those who have nothing to contribute to
>this effort would do well to just ignore this thread instead of
>responding to every second posting with remarks like this.  We know
>that you dislike DOS paths (and people who use DOS paths with cygwin
>too?), so there is no need to repeatly point this out.  On the specific
>point above, it is rather disingenious if MingW make is proposed as a
>solution to somebody's problem and when it is then explained that this
>isn't the case the topic becomes inappropriate.  It is also not nice,
>to say the least, to omit crucial detail from quoted text, such as
>this:
>
>>>You mentioned MinGW as an alternative, it does not work.  Also, someone
>>>on this list asked me a question, and I answered it.
>
>If MinGW is off-topic it is off-topic for everybody, not just those on
>one side of the argument.
>
>Again, my main point: It is ok to ignore a thread you're not interested
>in.

Your main point is flawed.

I administer both this mailing list and make.  When I suggest that someone
should go elsewhere, listening to me is not "optional".

In this case, following my advice IS the right way to solve the problem.
Given that the OP did not have very much knowledge about MinGW or
(apparently) MSYS, it makes an excruciating amount of sense that this
would not be the place to pick it up.  It really is not productive to
argue that you want to talk about MinGW here.

OTOH, it would be wonderful if the OP had gone away to discuss the
problem with the experts and THEN returned with a summary which either
showed the solution or informed us all that there was still a problem.
And, given the discussion in the make-w32 mailing list, maybe that will
still happen (I still think that there would have been a more
comprehensive response if the mingw mailing list had been used,
however).

Joachim, I have been trying to respond to your messages as politely as I
can but your email is getting quite old now.  This thread has seen a lot
of counterproductive content.  Messages which suggest that people are
being "emotional", claim to speak for a large number of users, suggest
forking the project (for make!), contain polemics on the philosophy of
free software, accuse cygwin developers of saying things they haven't
said, or suggest that people should ignore discussions which have been
tagged as off-topic are not going to convince me to do anything.  And,
at the end of the day, this isn't a "change to Cygwin philosophy".  It
is just a decision on my part to stop supporting a "small" 400+ line
patch.

Your messages and those from the other couple of vocal people here have
done nothing to convince me that this decision was wrong for me.  It has
done a lot to reinforce my belief that there are vocal people on this
mailing list who, even when talking about free software, really do not
"get it".  And, this makes me think that those people could stand a
little fish teaching.

So, you can continue to send email but I want to point out that your
messages are not having the effect that you may desire.

cgf