RE: change in behavior of make from 3.80 to 3.81

William A. Hoffman wrote on Tuesday, August 15, 2006 4:12 AM:

> OK, so to summarize.
>
> - there is no options or special syntax that will allow the
> make 3.81 to recognize drive letters in such a way that native
> windows tools can use them.  /c/ and /cygdrive/c/ will only work
> with applications built against the cygwin libraries.  MS cl can
> no longer be used with cygwin make as of 3.81.

Gosh, we used Cygwin's make in Unix mode for DOS-based and Cygwin based utilities already ~10 years ago. And those make files were also used to compile and build on other platforms like Solaris, Irix, Linux, HP-UX and OS/2. I've published those make functions doing all the work in 1999 here on the list and gave in the last weeks more than once a pointer.

> - cygwin will no longer maintain the patch to make that allowed
> it to recognize driver letters in paths.

And it is not necessary and it was never. So why increase the burden of the maintainer for nothing. Cygwin has everything to convert the paths and you can write platform independent make files even for DOS-based tools - just hide away the differences with macros and make functions.

[snip]

- Jörg