Re: change in behavior of make from 3.80 to 3.81

On Mon, Aug 14, 2006 at 03:07:41PM -0400, William A. Hoffman wrote:
>At 02:36 PM 8/14/2006, Dave Korn wrote:
>>On 14 August 2006 19:29, Bill Hoffman wrote:
>>

>>  Search the archives, and read the release announcement for the new make
>>version.
>>
>>  Every single day for the past month, we have had at least seventy-four[*]
>>identical duplicate redundant reports of this from people who haven't bothered
>>to check if it was already known.
>
>Just being lazy.  I should have searched.   I see now there is quite a bit
>of traffic on this.  I don't know if this is adding to the discussion, but
>I will give my use case that shows the problem.
>
>So, visual studio 2005 now supports the ability to run cl for two .o files
>at the same time, so you can do make -j N builds with cl as the compiler.
>I am the maintainer of the CMake www.cmake.org package, and CMake can generate
>"Unix Makefiles" on windows, and in the past prior to 3.81, this worked.
>The problem is that the CMake that generates the makefiles does not know about
>cygwin, and can not run cygpath.   It creates makefiles with / and not \, but
>still has the drive letter : for full paths.   cl does accept paths with / in them,
>but it obviously does not know about /cygdrive/c.
>
>I guess I should just recommend that cmake users use mingw make:

I'm not 100% clear on what you're saying but if cmake distributed with
Cygwin is producing makefiles with MS-DOS SYNTAX then, actually it
should either be fixed to not do that or it should be pulled from the
distribution.  I wasn't aware of this limitation.

cgf