Checking XCOPY Exit Value in Cygwin Bash

Hi all,
       I am writing a automated build script for my project that will be run under cygwin. I will copy my updated source files to the build directory and if there are updated files, the executables will be built. To copy the source files, I had to use XCOPY since the directory structure should be preserved in the destination directory also. To copy only the updated files, I used the /D switch for XCOPY. Now since I want to execute the source compile only if files in the build directory have been updated, I have to use the exit codes of XCOPY inside the script. I tried checking the value of $! after executing XCOPY but it didnt work. I couldn't find a solution in the internet too.  Currently I am piping the standard output to a file and checking if the number of files copied is 0 or not. But I think this is not an elegant solution. This is what I am doing now.

[script]
copied=false
# Helper Function
copy_files()
{
    echo copying *.$1 files in $2 to $3\\$2
    xcopy /DSYI $2\\*.$1 $3\\$2 | tee copy.log

    while read amount  ; do
        if [ ${amount::1} != "0" ]; then
            copied=true;
        fi
    done < copy.log
}
cd ../source

copy_files h    . ..\\build
copy_files c    . ..\\build
copy_files cpp  . ..\\build
rm -f copy.log
! $copied && echo "Files up-to-date. Skipping build" && exit 0
cd ../build
# Start the Build Process
[/script]

Can you please provide me a way of checking the XCOPY exit code: reference [http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/xcopy.mspx?mfr=true] within Bash?