[OT] RE: 1.5.21: file timestamp not updated after editing

  Alex?  http://cygwin.com/acronyms#PCYMTNQREAIYR please.

>>> I disabled Norton Antivirus 2005 and ZoneAlarm firewall, but the problem
>>> is still present.
>>>
>>> I did some further troubleshooting and found that this problem doesn't
>>> occur anymore if I'm running Cygwin while Windows XP is in safe mode.
>>> But it happens again if I start Windows using the "Safe Mode With
>>> Networking" option.  I've been able to reproduce this consistently.
>>
>> This points to some bad interaction with another piece of software on
>> your machine.  Probably something which installed a driver module.
>>

> Did some more investigation - the problem doesn't occur if I edit the
> file in CMD.EXE, using the EDIT text editor, nor does it occur if I
> edit the file using regular Windows apps like Notepad, WordPad, etc.
> A driver problem is definitely a possibility (I'm already suspecting
> the NVIDIA nForce chipset drivers), and will look into it.

  Take a look into HKLM/System/CurrentControlSet/Control/SafeBoot in the
registry.  Look at what's under the 'minimal' and 'network' subkeys and you
should be able to narrow it down to one of the drivers/services that's in
'network' but not in 'minimal'.

    cheers,
      DaveK