sshd, /etc/hosts.allow, & Alternate Access Methods

Is anyone familiar with alternate access methods as they apply to
cygwin? If I edit /etc/hosts.allow, the alternate access method
(indicated by a '+' in an 'ls -l' listing) gets lost. Thereafter
/etc/hosts.allow is no longer properly observed by sshd - it makes ssh
logins impossible from anything other than localhost.

So ... how do I edit /etc/hosts.allow and retain the alternate access
method that appears to be crucial for proper sshd operation?

P.S. Notice that merely copying the originally installed hosts.allow to
     a backup copy causes the alternate access method to be lost:

-rwx------+ 1 tundra None 200 Feb 23 00:15 hosts.allow -rwx------ 1 tundra None 200 Feb 23 00:15 hosts.allow.orig -rwx------+ 1 tundra None 407 Feb 23 00:15 hosts.deny