installation location of packages

It seems to me that the cygwin packages are installed in different locations than the locations they would go if ./compile make make install are performed on the source.

Is that true and if yes are there anywhere instructions where these locations are so that they can be pointed to applications depending on them, when such applications are compiled. At the moment I am trying to compile Cyrus IMAP and as it seems I have to compile from source a lot of stuff it requires because things do not seem to find the cygwin packages, though these packages are installed.

Thanks,
Iv