Re: 1.5.18-1: issue with cygwin1.dll: "system shared memory version mismatch detected"

On Tue, 20 Dec 2005, JeDi wrote:

> > > I am now able to launch bash properly.
> > >
> > > Worm ?
> >
> > Not sure.  services.exe could be a wrapper that was running some
> > Cygwin program at the time...
>
> Well ProcessExplorer used to point services.exe on
> c:\windows\system\DRIVER, were I couldn't find any services.exe in the
> explorer (I checked that explorer was not configured for hidding files).
> Moreover I was not able to create a file called services.exe, explorer
> wouldn't do it because another one was called like this in the
> folder!!!! Then, in a command prompt I executed "del services.exe", and
> the del command told me no file was there. Then, I did "mv services.exe
> services.exe.old", and the file was renamed. I created a services.exe
> from an empty txt file, and that's it, services.exe (the one containing
> a copy of cygwin1.dll) does not launch himself anymore at each boot and
> cygwin works correctly.
>
> I definitly think it's a worm.

Ok.

> > Hmm...  Weird.  Well, it's gone now...
>
> Thanks to you, thank you and the other guys in the
> forum for your gracious help.
>
> > > /etc/setup does exist and contains some files. Actually cygcheck is
> > > depending on cygwin1.dll I guess, so ...
> >
> > Your guess is wrong.  cygcheck does attempt to invoke some programs
> > that depend on cygwin1.dll, but it itself does not depend on it.  The
> > fact that it thinks that you have no mounts and that no packages are
> > installed is alarming.
>
> But everything seems to work perfectly.

For now.  Your configuration is just asking for trouble.

> > What is the output of "mount" from bash?  Does your system have an
> > /etc/setup/installed.db?
>
> bash-3.00$ mount
> c: on /cygdrive/c type system (binmode,noumount)
> d: on /cygdrive/d type system (binmode,noumount)
> e: on /cygdrive/e type system (binmode,noumount)
> g: on /cygdrive/g type system (binmode,noumount)
> h: on /cygdrive/h type system (binmode,noumount)

You need to have the "/", "/usr/bin", and "/usr/lib" mounts, at the very
least.

> And I have a /etc/setup/installed.db in my cygwin directory. Attached
> with the mail, my last cygcheck which seems fine.

It is not fine.  The default mounts are missing, so most scripts will not
work properly (those that use /usr/bin/PROG as their shebang line, for
example).  Looks like you've installed Cygwin into c:\cygwin, so you can
restore the mounts with

cd c:\cygwin\bin
.\mount -f -s -b c:/cygwin /
.\mount -f -s -b c:/cygwin/bin /usr/bin
.\mount -f -s -b c:/cygwin/lib /usr/lib

(from a cmd.exe window), or re-running setup.exe...
FWIW, the empty list of installed packages is likely a consequence of the
missing "/" mount, and should also be fixed by the above commands.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu