Re: Installation Fails (Hangs?) on plain vanilla XP Machine

surendar jeyadev wrote:

--- "Larry Hall (Cygwin)" <reply-to-list-only-lh <at> cygwin <dot> com> wrote:

<http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PCYMTNQREAIYR>. Thanks.

surendar jeyadev wrote:

I am trying to install Cygwin on a standard

Windows XP

set up.
When I run 'setup.exe', it hangs at the point

where is

starts
to download the 'mirrors.lst' file. The is no

activity

in the
progress bar and I noted no disk or net activity

for

30 min.
Retried 3 times to no avail. The log file is

included

below.

Can you reach <http://cygwin.com/mirrors.lst> from
your
browser?  Are you using an FTP mirror?  If so, try
an
HTTP mirror instead.  Or try:

<http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/cygwin/setup-2.513-alpha.exe>

Yes, I could reach <http://cygwin.com/mirrors.lst>
without
any problems.
I was using 'Direct Connection to the Internet'.
I fetched 'setup-2.513-alpha.exe' and it failed the
same way.
The log file is identical.

As things are not even getting to step 1, could there
be
something more fundamental at work -- such as
communication
problems?

That's what I suspect, yes.  You mentioned that you're using
'Direct Connection to the Internet' for 'setup.exe'.  Is that
the same method your browser uses to connect to the Internet?

Holliston, MA 01746