Problem with rsyncd in Windows XP

I have long backed up my work laptop (running win2k) by running the rsync
daemon using cygrunsrv on the lap top and using an overnight cron job from my
Debian server to suck out all the data and save it.

I have just got a new laptop that runs XP (professional). ?I set up rsync on
there identically to before. ?From my server, I can get see that the rsync
daemon is running because I can get it to list the modules it will serve.

However as soon as I try and access any data for real I get access denied
failures ?(see below for the output)

roo:~# rsync rabbit.home::
system ? ? ? ? ?the complete c drive
alan ? ? ? ? ? ?Alan's specific user space
roo:~# rsync rabbit.home::alan/
@ERROR: access denied to alan from roo.home (192.168.0.20)
rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (0 bytes received so far) [receiver]
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(420)
roo:~# ?

One difference - the new file system is NTFS, the old one was FAT32.

Ethereal on the link just has the simple exchange above, no other data

Nothing is being logged (despite cygrunsrv directing stdout and stderr to a
log file) as to what the problem might be, so I am finding it hard to debug. ?

Here is /etc/rsyncd.conf
chroot = false
strict modes = false
hosts allow = 192.168.0.0/24 127.0.0.1
gid = SYSTEM

[system]
path = /cygdrive/c
comment = the complete c drive
uid = Administrators

[alan]
path = /cygdrive/c/Documents\ and\ Settings/ChandlerA
comment = Alan's specific user space
uid = chandlera

rync is being run by cygrunsrv with just the --daemon and --no-detach flags

My directory (the one pointed to by module [alan] has permissions (from a
cygwin bash shell) as mod 775, owner Administrators.SYSTEM and the files
inside this directory are owned by chandlera.SYSTEM

Anyone and ideas?

--
Alan Chandler
http://www.chandlerfamily.org.uk