RE: 1.5.x: Windows 2003 - no console output

On Fri, 30 Sep 2005, Igor Kalders wrote:

> > So, you start CMD.EXE and type "ls" and something runs but you see no
> > output?  Does it hang, or just exit immediately?
>
> 1. I call CMD.exe
> 2. If not already in the PATH, I add C:\cygwin\bin (as the first entry)
> 3. If asked for, I adjust CYGWIN ;)
> 4. I call any command (bash, ls, true, ...)
> 5. The command seems to start up
> 6. The command shuts down without any output
> 7. The %ERRORLEVEL% is 128
>
> Whatever I do in step 2 and 3, it changes nothing.
>
> > What about when you open a bash prompt using the cygwin.bat shortcut
> > and type "ls", does that work?  Does removing "tty" from $CYGWIN make
> > any difference?  (By the way, "binmode" and "ntsec" are both on by
> > default, so setting them in $CYGWIN essentially has no effect.)
>
> That was what I did first, before I started digging. The bash prompt
> even doesn't pop up. For your clear view: If I double-click the batch in
> Windows, a cms.exe console windows pops up and goes away. So it looks
> like the command really gets invoked.

No, that means that the batch file is invoked, not the command.  What
happens when you open a cmd.exe window and type "c:\cygwin\cygwin.bat"?

> But invoking bash by double-clicking cygwin.bat, is not any different
> from manually starting cmd.exe and calling bash.

It is different, unless you invoke bash with the exact command-line
options it has in cygwin.bat.

> Also, adjusting CYGWIN within the batch makes no difference.
>
> Since this wouldn't be the first time that I've been bugtracking for
> days something that could be resolved by a restart, I restarted the
> (production!) server yesterday. Also made no difference.

Do you have anti-virus software of any sort running on the machine?  How
about spyware detection?

> One more thing, I used FileMon to check for any files that are searched
> for but not found. While executing e.g. ls, I found that SECUR32.DLL was
> sought for in the cygwin/bin dir. I was not sure this was done by the
> cygwin command, but I put it in that place anyway.

AFAICS, ls does *not* depend on SECUR32.DLL.  What does "cygcheck
/bin/ls.exe" show?
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/