Re: bash not running bash_profile or bashrc

> I recently deleted c:\cygwin and my package repository and then
> installed cygwin again using the latest setup.exe.

That's usually not necessary.  It is possible (even recommended)
to upgrade without wiping the older versions, so that your
customizations are preserved.

>  The first xterm that
> gets fired up with startxwin.bat correctly runs .bash_profile.  However,
> if I start another xterm from that xterm, neither .bash_profile nor
> .bash_rc is run.  PS1 gets reset to "$".  The second xterm also loses
> tab-completion functionality.  I do, however, in the second xterm, get
> the "Your group is currently "mkpasswd" message.
>
> Because it might be related, I'll describe a second problem. The command

Yep, it was related - until you have run mkpasswd, /etc/passwd is
unpopulated, so cygwin doesn't know any better than to set your
home directory to:

> HOME = `/cygdrive/n'

And if that is not what you thought it should be, it would explain
why your .bashrc was not found.

> mkpasswd -d > /etc/passwd
>
> seems to hang.  I get no output and it never completes.

Depending on the size of your domain, it can take a LOOONG time.  Be
patient, it is not hung.  If you want to see progress, do this instead:
mkpassword -d | tee /etc/passwd

--
Eric Blake
volunteer cygwin bash maintainer