Re: Bug: Setup tool doesn't respect managed mountpoints/filesystems

On Mon, 19 Sep 2005, Mark Paulus wrote:

> My company just replaced my desktop with a laptop, and in the
> migration process, I am getting my cygwin install set back up.
> Two changes I had made before was to mount /usr/src and /usr/share
> as managed filesystems (I have a directory c:\cygmanaged where
> share and src live).  While doing some clean up work in there from
> a previous lifetime, I noticed that some new things are being put in
> the tree, but the filenames are not being "managed".  So,
> Instead of having a directory
> c:\cygmanaged\share\doc\%43ygwin,
> the installer is creating a directory
> c:\cygmanaged\share\doc\Cygwin,
> and then I have
> c:\cygmanaged\share\doc\Cygwin\stow-1.3.3.README,
> instead of
> c:\cygmanaged\share\doc\%43ygwin\stow-1.3.3.%52%45%41%44%4D%45*
> Which also messes up the link in
> c:\cygmanaged\share\doc\stow-1.3.3\README.Cygwin, which isn't
> a managed file name.
>
> So, it appears that the installer is respecting the mount point, but
> it isn't respecting the managed attribute of the filesystem/mountpoint.

Right.  This is a limitation in Cygwin setup -- it doesn't know anything
about managed mounts.  I suppose as managed mounts become more pervasive,
we'll have to add support for this into setup.  For now, you can simply
remove and extract the offending files using Cygwin tar (which *will*
respect managed mounts).

OTOH, one of the changes that would be worth making in the managed mount
code is to leave the filename alone unless there's a clash, in which case
the clashing filename becomes encoded.  This should work since both NTFS
and FAT are case-preserving filesystems (of course, Cygwin will have to
make sure that the right case is used to access the file -- I haven't
thought the whole thing through completely, hence no patch yet).  The
reason for doing this is that most files don't exist with multiple cases,
and thus encoding on managed mounts is mostly unnecessary...
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu