Re: zsh: command not found => hangs

Hello,

On Sun, 28 Aug 2005, Christopher Faylor wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 28, 2005 at 02:28:13PM +0300, Pavel Tsekov wrote:
> >I did trace this problem an it looks like a race in Cygwin but I may be
> >wrong. Here I am providing two backtraces from a debug session - the first
> >one shows what happens normally and the second one shows the hang:
>
> I appreciate that you fired up gdb to look into the problem but Cygwin
> is a multi-threaded application.  You need to look at all of the threads
> if you figure out a potential race.

I know it is multi-threaded. I've been trying to determine the right
places where breakpoints should be set. And of course the problem is hard
to reproduce when you interrupt the normal execution by setting
breakpoints. Any ideas on how to proceed would be appreciated. Of course
if you can reproduce it and debug it on your own I guess my help won't be
necessary.

I posted because I thought this information would be useful to someone.

> >P.S. While looking at this I noticed that Cygwin's wait family of
> >functions won't return 0 if WNOHANG is passed and no children are found
> >that match the wait criteria  - JFYI.
>
> AFAICT, Cygwin returns 0 in a WNOHANG criteria, just like linux.
>
> If you have evidence to the contrary, a simple test case would be
> helpful.

Of course you are right. I am too tired maybe. There were actually no
processes to wait for :(